In November, 1842, a meeting of the Pastors and Elders of the First and Second Presbyterian Churches was convened, and preliminary steps were taken for erecting the Aisquith Street Church. The Church was organized on January 9th, 1844. Reverend J. Breckinridge, DD and Reverend J. C. Backus, DD had the cause of church extension at heart, advised certain members of their respective churches living in the neighborhood of Aisquith Street, to organize themselves into a new Church, which was done, and called the “Aisquith Street Presbyterian Church”.
Early in 1880, this Church received a proposition from the “German Reformed Zion” congregation for an exchange of church property. The congregation moved from the old building on the corner of Aisquith and Edwards Streets, to a beautiful building on Aisquith near Jefferson Street.
As the church grew and the city expanded northward, in 1902 the congregation again moved, this time to North Avenue and Aisquith Street, where a fine house of worship was erected. The cornerstone of the North Avenue Church was laid on October 23, 1902. The church remained in this location for 27 years. In the summer of 1929 the congregation approved the sale of the property, with the proviso that the stone and furnishings of building were to be used in the new building. After prolonged meetings the Presbytery gave permission for the church to relocate to the to the Parkville area. A lot was purchased at Harford Road and Oakcrest Avenue. Ground was broken on May 4, 1930. On October 7th, at the request of the congregation, the Presbytery of Baltimore officially changed the name of the church to Aisquith Presbyterian Church. The first service of worship was held in the new, and present, building on December 14, 1930.
To meet the needs of a growing Sunday School, a new, one story wing was completed in 1955. A dedication for the second and third floors was held on September 29, 1963. The kitchen and the sanctuary were also improved at the same time.
Due to a widening gulf in the perspective of historic Presbyterianism between Aisquith and the United Presbyterian Church in the United States, Aisquith, after much soul searching withdrew from that denomination in 1980, and, a year later, joined the Presbyterian Church in America.
The preceding was taken from a pamphlet entitled, “Aisquith Presbyterian Church, 150th Anniversary 1844-1994”